PaperCut includes a number of tools and functions to assist organizations with customization and extension. Available resources include:
- Application programming interface (API) for advanced software developers.
- Command-line programs to automate tasks such as point-in-time backups, domain synchronization, disabling printers, etc.
- File formats facilitating web interface design changes.
Many organizations have committed considerable time towards integrating PaperCut with existing scripts, web based programs, and print quota policy procedures. It is important that the PaperCut’s interfaces remain consistent over time and between versions.
PaperCut Software’s API compatibility policy is as follows:
- Every attempt will be made to ensure published APIs and tools remain compatible between versions.
- Public documented APIs will be supported for a minimum of 3 years. However in practice this will likely be longer. For example, services provided with PaperCut Quota 1.0, now over 7 years old, are still relevant and work today.
- API changes will always be documented in the user guide (e.g. Appendix A).
- Any APIs marked as
deprecatedin public documentation will be phased out within 12 months. Deprecated APIs should never be used in development projects.
PaperCut Software recommends that organizations undertaking large development projects consult the PaperCut Software Development team. We can then add you to a mailing list so you’re notified prior to any API changes.