LET'S GET STARTED
A lot of companies publish intimidating, detailed "legal speak" privacy policies
- Feel free to check out our PaperCut MF and NG EULA, the PaperCut Pocket and PaperCut Hive Terms of Service, the PaperCut Views Terms of Service, or the Print Logger EULA alongside this policy.
- Before we begin, let's make sure we're all on the same page about who's who. We're PaperCut Software Pty Ltd (ACN 650 500 413). When we say 'us', 'we', 'our' or 'PaperCut', we're referring to ourselves.
- When we mention "you" or "your", we're referring to people who use or engage with the PaperCut brand, products and services such as PaperCut MF™, PaperCut NG™, PaperCut Hive™ and PaperCut Pocket™. It also refers to people visiting our sites, including engaging in social media.
- Trusted Partners – Authorized Partners, Resellers, and Manufacturers.
What type of information do we collect?
- Personal information that identifies you as an individual or relates to an identifiable individual such as your name, title, company name, job function, postal address, telephone number, username,or email address.
- In order to be able to provide PaperCut products or services, there will be times when we'll obtain information about you from other people such as our Trusted Partners.
- Your IP address number that is automatically assigned to the computer that you're using by your Internet Service Provider (ISP). An IP address may be identified and logged automatically in our server log files whenever you access the PaperCut sites, along with the time of the visit and the page(s) that you visited.
- At times, you may disclose personal information from publicly available sites (i.e. from social media, blogs, websites and other services) where you're able to post information and materials. Please remember that this information is publically available.
- We may also collect personal information from job applications to assess an applicant's suitability for employment.
- Other information is any information that does not reveal your specific identity or does not directly relate to an identifiable individual. This might include URLs of pages you visit and the device, operating system, and browser you use and the time of your visit. We collect this information to help us understand how our websites are working and how we could improve them/our services.
- We use anonymous aggregated data provided by you and other users of the PaperCut products for the purpose of best practice, benchmarking, forecasting, and education.
- At times, we publish aggregated information. However, please feel safe in knowing that we won't publish information that identifies you without your prior approval.
- We do retain messages you post to our website or blog.
- If you download a PaperCut Software trial and you enter your contact details but you do not proceed with license purchase, we may contact you.
We have different ways of collecting information
- If you're using our website, we may collect information directly from you when you download our free trial, register for events (including webinars), contact us, subscribe to our email newsletters, download content, register to use our sites (e.g. the PaperCut Portal), or job applications.
- You or a Trusted Partner may supply us with test data, database backup, or system logs to help us find and address bugs. This data may include personal information such as usernames.
- We may collect personal information from you if you attend one of our events, or an event that we're attending, or during calls with sales and support teams, or when you contact us.
- Our software applications will never secretly prompt you to install some gee-wiz browser toolbar. As software geeks, we needed to put that one in the list.
- If you use one of our web-based services, components of those services may collect personal information in order to provide you with that service.
- In relation to the "scan to cloud" feature of certain PaperCut software (which enables users to scan documents to Google, DropBox etc), we store scanned files in an encrypted format for up to 24 hours, after which time they are deleted. However, we retain summary information relating to scan jobs that may include personal information such as usernames.
- In order to enhance our ability to provide relevant marketing, offers, and services to you, we may obtain information about you from other sources, such as public databases, our Trusted Partners, social media platforms, and from other third parties.
Certain information is collected by most browsers or automatically through your device, such as your computer address, computer type, screen resolution, operating system name and version, device manufacturer and model, language, Internet browser type and version, and the name and version of the sites you're using.
- The type of cookies we're talking about are web beacons and similar technologies that record log data. They're small text files stored on your computer for record-keeping purposes, every time you visit our website.
- We love analysing data (it's our inner geek) so we collect anonymous data, too. While it doesn't directly identify you personally or contain any other information about you, it does identify your computer.
- We and our third-party service providers may use a combination of "persistent cookies" (cookies that stick around until you or your browser deletes them or they expire) and "session ID cookies" (cookies that are deleted when you close your browser) on the website.
- From a website point of view, the cookie helps us track overall site usage, and track and report on your use and interaction with ad impressions and ad services. We use this kind of information to improve the functionality and experience of PaperCut Products, Services and our website.
- We use web analytics services (currently Google Analytics).
- The other type of information we collect is non-identifiable data to help us derive global or industry usage metrics to assist forecasting, benchmarking, and trend analysis. We use it to help us crunch the numbers in the background.
- For PaperCut NG and PaperCut MF, we collect Feature Usage Data to help us improve our products. It's handy for us to understand how our product is being used so we know which features to invest time into future development. To turn off the collection of Feature Usage Data, simply navigate to Options >> Advanced options >> System Usage Data and disable Send system usage data.
- We don't store credit card details, nor do we process credit cards ourselves. Instead we only use trusted sources. All direct payment gateways adhere to the standards set by PCI-DSS as managed by the PCI Security Standards Council, which is a joint effort of brands like Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover.
How we use this information
Overall, the key reason for us collecting personal information is so we can provide our customers with better support and to improve their user experience. But also to:
- Understand and improve our products.
- Assist you with technical support issues or other issues relating to our Products and Services. This may include sharing your support requests and data logs with our Trusted Partners (for example Authorized Solution Centers).
- Send you operational information (information required for us to continue providing your product and/or service i.e. advising your Maintenance & Support is about to expire).
- Communicate with you and respond to your inquiries and fulfil your requests (such as sending you requested materials) as well as information and materials regarding our products and services.
- Send email and/or SMS marketing communications e.g. newsletters and product upgrades. These will only be sent to you if you have requested the information or opted in to receiving marketing communications. We'll provide you with instructions for how you can remove yourself from that mailing list if you so wish.
- Record your marketing and communication preferences so we can keep you informed about our product updates and service offerings.
- Provide you with usage reports.
- Perform our general business purposes (such as finance reporting and identifying usage trends campaign effectiveness).
- Anonymously aggregate your data provided with other users of PaperCut products for the purpose of best practice, benchmarking, forecasting, and education.
- Process a job application you've submitted and communicate with you.
- Successfully manage "scan to cloud" services (we use scan job summary information to provide users with reports or auditing on their use of the service).
TWO MORE THINGS TO NOTE
- We'll keep your personal information for no longer than is necessary to fulfil the purposes for which it was collected.
- Where we have granted you a perpetual licence we may not be aware that you have ceased using our product, so we'll keep your data until you notify us that you no longer use our software.
For our Authorized Partners and Resellers
- A prerequisite when becoming an Authorized Partner or Reseller is to provide your contact details (email and mobile) to enable PaperCut to provide operational notifications and communications. For example, your customer's Maintenance & Support is about to expire, and product release updates.
- We'll email you newsletters and other marketing communications only if you have opted in, and we'll provide you with instructions as to how you can remove yourself from that mailing list if you so wish.
Sharing of your data
- PaperCut has Trusted Partners that sell and implement PaperCut products and services. At times, we'll need to disclose personal information to our Trusted Partners for the purposes described above.
- We may contract other companies and people to perform tasks on our behalf and may at times need to share your personal information with them to provide products or services to you, or to otherwise communicate with you. Examples may include removing repetitive information from customer lists, analyzing data, conducting billing, engaging technical support for our services, providing customer service, and performing analysis related to our products or services.
- At times, prospective customers contact us directly that need to be referred to an Authorized Partner due to the suitable product not being sold directly by us. In these instances, we ask for your permission to pass your details to our Trusted Partner.
- We use service providers, like those who provide us with cloud storage solutions, to provide the best service to our customers. Some are based outside Australia (in places like Europe, UK, Asia and the US).
- We'll also disclose your personal information if we are required by law or as permitted by the applicable laws.
The security of your information is our top priority
- We store personal information on secure servers that are managed by us and our service providers, and occasionally hard copy files that are kept in a secure location. Personal information that we store is subject to security and access controls, including username and password authentication and data encryption where appropriate.
- While we do take reasonable steps to secure your personal information from loss, misuse, interference and unauthorized access, modification and disclosure, you should be aware no security procedures or protocols are ever guaranteed to be 100 percent secure from intrusion or hacking, and there is therefore always some risk assumed by sharing personal information online.
- If there's a high risk of harm in the event of a breach, we'll report to our data protection authority as soon as possible after becoming aware of the breach and to the data subjects as soon as possible.
- You can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to access, correct, or request deletion of any of your personal information that we store.
- Where you have provided your consent for us to use your personal information, you may withdraw that consent at any time. Please note that withdrawal of consent may prevent us from being able to provide products or services to you.
- To view or change the marketing material you receive, you can manage your data preference settings via the 'manage your preferences' link found at the bottom of any marketing communications you've received.
- You have the right to lodge a privacy complaint with a relevant supervisory authority. In Australia, the Privacy Commissioner's website is at www.oaic.gov.au.
Changes to these terms
We want you to feel confident about your data. Got questions? Get in touch.
We value your trust and we won't throw that away. If we ever send you something you find annoying, just email us and let us know.
There's always someone real at our end who reads emails, and we do action requests, comments, and complaints.
Post: Privacy Guru
PaperCut, Level 1, 3 Prospect Hill Road,
Camberwell VIC 3124 Australia