The PaperCut LPD Service has special debug options which cause the service to produce a detailed text log of activity. The log allows our developers to inspect the internal workings of the PaperCut application and pinpoint the cause of problems. Enabling debug logging is only usually required or requested by the PaperCut Support team.
The PaperCut LPD Service is the component in the PaperCut n-tiered architecture that allows for the submission of print jobs via the LPD/LPR protocol to Windows Print Servers in a reliable and robust manner. It acts as a replacement to the Windows Print Services for Unix and sits between the client machine and the Windows Print Queue and hence debug here can help diagnose monitoring related problems.
Note: If you have more than one server, these steps must be done on the server that is hosting the print queue(s) in question. This may or may not be the same server as your PaperCut Application Server. If there is any doubt, please confirm with PaperCut Technical Support.
To enable debug in PaperCut LPD Service:
Version 1.0.307 or later
Open the file:
in a text editor.
2. Change the line Debug = false to display:
Debug = true
3. Save the file.
4. This component needs to be restarted before debug logging is enabled .
Restart the PaperCut LPD Service Service under Control Panel → Administrative Tools → Services.
5. Print a few test documents from a network workstation, or perform the problem action. Try to select a situation that is likely to cause the issue being investigated.
6. Record the approximate time of the problem and/or the name of any printed documents (or the time you performed the test action). This will help the developers match up log entries with your test activity. Additional information such as what was observed or what was expected would also be useful.
7. Wait 10 minutes.
8. Zip and email all the PaperCut LPD Service log files:
Include an explanation of the steps taken, along with any other other information requested by the PaperCut Developers.
Note: if the files are large, please place in a zip archive before sending.