How to Enable Debug in the Application Server
Please also see Reporting Problems
PaperCut NG and PaperCut MF have special debugging options which allow the software to produce a highly detailed text log of application activity. These logs allows support engineers and developers to inspect the internal workings of the PaperCut Application Server, and pinpoint the cause of problems. Enabling debug logging is only usually required if requested by the PaperCut Support Team, or your PaperCut partner or reseller.
The video below demonstrates how to enable debug mode and collect logs from the Application Server (note that this video currently reflects the process for versions of PaperCut NG and PaperCut MF earlier than 17.3):
- 1. Open the Admin web interface and login as a user with admin rights.2. Navigate to the Options tab, then the Advanced subtab.3. Turn on the Enable debug mode option, and click to Apply this change at the bottom of the page.4. Perform the problem action (e.g. print a few test documents from a network workstation). Try to select a situation that is likely to cause the particular issue being investigated.5. Record the following information:
All of this information will help our support engineers and developers match up log entries with your testing activities. Additional information, such as what was observed or what was expected, can also prove very useful.6. Wait five or so minutes, to ensure log data is fully up-to-date with the events of testing.7. If you run PaperCut MF, make sure you’ve raised a ticket with your PaperCut partner or reseller; their contact details can be found under the Support section of the About tab in the Admin web interface.
- Date and time of the print job or action that demonstrates the problem
- Name of any printed documents
- Printer name
- The IP address and workstation name of the workstation that sent the job to the printer
Version 17.3 or Later
- 8. If you run PaperCut MF, navigate back to the Options tab, then the Advanced subtab, and click to enable the Download diagnostics file option now found in the Diagnostics section of the page. Then, click the Download Diagnostics File button to save a zip archive of debug logging to disk, and provide that resulting file to your PaperCut partner or reseller.If you run PaperCut NG, navigate back to the Options tab, then the Advanced subtab, and click to enable the Upload diagnostics file to PaperCut Support option now found in the Diagnostics section of the page. Enter the email address you used when opening a ticket with the Support Team, as well as the ticket number you were assigned by email, or otherwise advised of. Finally, click the Upload Diagnostic File button to complete the process. If you would prefer to download the log files and transfer them to the Support Team later through some other means, simply select the Download diagnostics file option instead, and then click the Download Diagnostics File button to save a zip archive of debug logging to disk.
Version 13.2 to 17.2
- 8. Navigate back to the Options tab, then the Advanced subtab, and click the Download diagnostics file link now found in the Diagnostics section of the page, saving a zip archive of debug logging to disk.If you run PaperCut MF, send the zip archive to your PaperCut partner or reseller.If you run PaperCut NG, send the zip archive to the PaperCut Support Team.
Version 13.1 or Earlier
- 8. Copy all the files from the following directory to a temporary location, before then zipping them into an archive.
- Please Note: Copying the files to another location first is important, as some ZIP tools will not include files currently in use.If you run PaperCut MF, send the zip archive to your PaperCut partner or reseller.If you run PaperCut NG, send the zip archive to the PaperCut Support Team.Be sure to include an explanation of the steps taken and tests performed, along with any other other information requested.Please Note: If you need to capture more than 100 MB of logs, please refer to the Changing Application Server Log Rotation Knowledge Base article.Please Note: If the collected files are large, request an upload link from the Support Team.Please Note: If you archive the files, please check the archive before emailing it to see that it contains all the files you intended to send. We have seen cases of ZIP files missing some of the total log files generated.
If you’re not able to get into the Admin web interface to enable debug mode due to the issue you are encountering, and you’ve been asked to do so, you can still achieve this by performing the following steps:
- Shutdown the PaperCut Application Server service
- Open a Command Prompt on your primary server with administrative privileges
- Use the
cdcommand to change to the db-tools.exe directory, and then run the following command:
db-tools.exe set-config system.enable-debug Y
- Restart the PaperCut Application Server service
If requested to enable debugging in the PaperCut Print Provider, see here.
keywords: debug logging, debug mode, app server, debugging, ng, mf