Producing custom reports with PaperCut
PaperCut includes many built-in reports (over 60) for viewing printing history, data and trends. These reports can be scheduled for automatic emailing, and can be combined with the many filter parameters and sorting options available to produce something more specific.
Learn how to integrate PaperCut MF and PaperCut NG’s Custom Reporting with other reporting tools:
If you require more specific reporting functionality there are several options available:
- Email support and let us know! The report you’re looking for may already be available, in which case our developers can provide advice about how to run it. Ad-hoc report filters make it possible to produce many different report styles, and report data can be exported directly from most tabular data in PaperCut. We regularly add new reports based on popular suggestions from our customers.
- Many reports contain extra fields/columns when run in CSV/Excel format (due to screen real estate not being an issue in spreadsheets). After producing a report in CSV format additional manipulation can be performed from a spreadsheet application. This method works best by running a report with a lot of data (such as a print logs report - one row per print job) then summarizing or grouping as required.
- Reports can also be run from the
Logs → Job Logpage by clicking on “Reports based on above data” at the bottom of the page. You can use the filters available on this page to get the data you want.
- If you’re just after some cosmetic changes, check on the report header customization option.
- By deploying PaperCut on an external database the data can be accessed directly via SQL (see here for how to run PaperCut on an external database). This can be used in combination with reporting tools such as Crystal Reports or JasperReports to produce custom reports. There is an open and documented database schema diagram to assist with this. When PaperCut is deployed on Microsoft SQL Server some SQL views are set up and may be used to help build queries. Report design can be complex and you will need some prior experience with these tools to be effective.
- If you have a suggestion for a new report which may be of benefit to our other customers (i.e. the report is general in nature) then we may be able to add it under our adopt a feature program. Contact us for details.