There are instances where PaperCut Support will request that logs are collected from the local machines for PaperCut Pocket and PaperCut Hive. In these cases, you can collect the logs from locations below along with how to find your Organization ID, Printer ID and Job ID:
Edge Node Logs
C:\Program files\PaperCut Pocket\data\logs - Installation and day to day logs with rolling policy every 50 MB
C:\Program files\PaperCut Hive\data\logs - Installation and day to day logs with rolling policy every 50 MB
/Library/PaperCut Pocket/data/logs - Installation and day to day logs with rolling policy every 50 MB
/Library/PaperCut Hive/data/logs - Installation and day to day logs with rolling policy every 50 MB
PaperCut Printer Client Logs
%localappdata%\Programs\PaperCut Pocket\data\logs - Installation and day to day logs with rolling policy every 50 MB
%localappdata%\Programs\PaperCut Hive\data\logs - Installation and day to day logs with rolling policy every 50 MB
~/Library/PaperCut Pocket/data/logs - Installation and day to day logs with rolling policy every 50 MB
~/Library/PaperCut Hive/data/logs - Installation and day to day logs with rolling policy every 50 MB
Note: For macOS, since the print client is installed under the user context you’ll need to perform either the below steps to grab these set of logs:
- Open Finder.
- Hold down the Option key when clicking the Go menu.
- Library will appear below the current user’s home directory
- Open Finder.
- Click on the Go menu and choose Go to Folder.
- In the Go To Folder dialog box, type ~/Library
- Click Go
- Open the Extensions menu in Chrome by going to chrome://extensions in the address bar.
- Check the box for “Developer Mode”
- Under the PaperCut Pocket/ Hive extension enable the “Collect errors” option then replicate the issue. Following this, click “background page”.
Note 💡 If you can’t find this section, you may be in a managed environment where this is disabled. If you’re the admin, go to the Google Chrome Enterprise admin page and navigate to Device Management > Chrome > Settings and set the value of Developer Tools to Always allow use of built-in developer tools .
- In the new Developer Tools window, click on the “Console tab.
- Click on the Ø symbol to clear any unrelated log files before beginning.
- Now try to reproduce the problem at this point. (If the issue is printer discovery then click on the ⋮ symbol in Chrome, choose Print, and then Change to force printer discovery.)
- Then back in the Developer Tools window, right click on any white space and choose “Save as…”
- This new log file should be saved to your Downloads folder, please send it to PaperCut support.
How to find your Organization ID, Printer ID and Job ID
The information below shows you how to collect the following to help us troubleshoot:
1. Organization ID
The easiest way to get the Org ID is by logging into the PaperCut Pocket/Hive Admin console, click your email address at the top right corner and select Billing and Subscription as shown in the screenshot below.
Alternatively, you can collect the Org ID from the URL that’s covered below as well.
2. Printer ID
You can grab the following information from your PaperCut Pocket Administrator Portal by going to Printers and clicking on the Printer in question.
3. Job ID
If it is a print job-specific problem the Job ID is essential. You’ll be able to get this information from the Pocket Administrator Portal by going to Job Log and clicking on the problematic job. The JobID can be found either on the URL or at the bottom left side of the side panel that will appear once you’ve clicked on the Job.
How to collect logs for the Lite Release App
- Log onto the PaperCut Hive admin interface, select Printers, select the printer > Apps.
- Follow the steps and run the installation command.
- If it fails, re-run the command and add -pclog.dev flag at the end of it and send us the console output. This will give us extra logging to work out what’s going on.
For more information about PaperCut Pocket and Hive, check out the PaperCut Pocket and Hive Help Center.
Categories: PaperCut Pocket and Hive KB Articles, Pocket & Hive Troubleshooting Articles
Keywords: Pocket, Hive, Logs