A SysAdmin’s guide to getting started with Pocket and Hive
Just like a car comes with a weighty tome of car-manual, PaperCut Pocket and Hive are documented fully in this manual too. However, also just like a car where 90% of people just jump in it and drive, there’s really no need to read the whole thing unless you want the extra techy goodness.
The PaperCut Pocket and Hive onboarding experience is as informative as possible and will lead you to the important things to do and set up. In addition to that, helpful little ‘?’ icons in the interface provide hints and tips on features or settings that need a few more words… but, if you’re after the behind-the-scenes look, or just a little more help, read on!
Take a look through the product pages for PaperCut Pocket or PaperCut Hive to get an idea of what each product can do. There’s also a handy feature comparison of PaperCut’s products, including Pocket, Hive, and NG / MF, over on the PaperCut product feature comparison page.
Once you’re ready to get up and running, head over to the percolator pages to register interest. For now, since both of these products are quite new, we’d like to help you through the sign-up - so fill out the form on behalf of your organization, whether you’re a customer or a reseller looking to sell PaperCut Pocket or Hive!
PaperCut Pocket - use the Register interest button to… well, tell us that you’re interested in using Pocket!
PaperCut Hive - Hive is currently in Beta and we are working with our global partner network and selected customers during this period. We’ll be opening the beta to end customers soon, so if you’re a techie, early adopter, or just love testing new stuff, check for latest news on the PaperCut Hive Percolator page.
Once you’ve been thoroughly vetted, passed multiple interviews, and handed over your family tree (just kidding, we’re working on automating this but it should be pretty quick, with minimal info needed), you’ll get an email to let you know that you can sign up using the PaperCut Pocket and Hive sign-up forms.
This is the bit where you create your PaperCut Pocket or Hive account and password!
PaperCut Pocket Sign Up - enter your name, work email, and set up a password. If you’re on the approved list, you’ll then be able to log into Pocket!
PaperCut Hive Sign Up - enter your name, work email, and set up a password. If you’re on the approved list, you’ll then be able to log into Hive!
At this point you’re eager to get your printers set up, get your users added, and start printing. You’re not left alone though - the admin interface will guide you through the process, step by step. You’ll be guided through:
- downloading the Edge Node software (to find those printers!)
- adding your first user (you!)
- installing the PaperCut Printer on your laptop or PC, and mobile app for your phone
- sending your first print job.
By this point, you’ll have explored the admin interface, added yourself as a user (so you’ve experienced the onboarding steps first hand!), and successfully sent your first print job.
You know your users and your environment far better than us, but we do have a few recommendations on what to do next. You can also go freestyle here!
Check out the rest of the manual
- Have a skim through the other pages in the PaperCut Pocket and Hive Manual. Maybe start with the System Requirements and then check out more information on Managing your users.
Customize your print environment
- Get comfortable with the system, and customize it to what is best for your organization:
- Set up optional Super Nodes that you think you might need, for example, for increased resiliency or for users who print from iOS.
- Decide whether you want to enable the Cloud Node for increased redundancy and to enable printing from devices not on your local network.
- Configure your Secure Print Release options to determine how your users can release their print jobs. If you’re wanting to use release methods that need a QR Code, print labels for your printers.
Customize your new user experience
Customize your new user experience for people at your organization, through the customizing the sign up process options. You’ve got plenty of options for customizing the messaging that goes to your users, and also auto-approving signups from certain email domains.
Send out invites
Send out your invitations! Your users are waiting for this easier way to print!
- Think about rolling out the new printing system to a subset of trial users first.
- Put posters up in common areas, or use email communications to talk about the change and positive things that users will be able to do - like releasing their print job from any printer, or being able to change the number of copies or print settings after printing it!
- Check in with the trial users to see how things went and find out what improvements you can make before rolling out to the rest of your organization.
Sit back and enjoy easy printing and cloud print management.
How do I get a PaperCut Pocket account?
Is there a form to express interest in PaperCut Hive?
Not at the moment - PaperCut Hive is currently in Beta and we are working with our global partner network and selected customers only during this period. Sorry about that!
We’ll be opening the beta to end customers soon, so if you’re a techie, early adopter, or just love testing new stuff, check for updates on the PaperCut Hive Percolator page.