Print Jobs Not Paused in Hold/Release Queue or for Client Popup
“Help! I’m a PaperCut Systems Administrator and we’ve noticed that our print jobs are not being paused and instead are being sent directly to printers. Why does this happen and how can we fix it?”
There are many reasons why print jobs might not be held. You will want to check to make sure the print queue is configured correctly in PaperCut, then troubleshoot why the print job may not be getting tracked or monitored by PaperCut.
The first thing to check is to log into the admin interface of PaperCut and ensure that ensure that Hold/Release is enabled for this printer.
- Log into your PaperCut as an administrator.
- Browse to Printers, then select the printer in question.
- Scroll down to Hold/Release Queue Settings and make sure that Enable hold/release queue is checked.
If you followed the steps above to make sure that Enable hold/release queue is checked but the print job is still going straight to the printer then more than likely the print job is not being monitored by PaperCut. Check the Job Log in PaperCut by logging into the web interface of your server as an admin and then browse to Logs. If your recent print job successfully printed, but isn’t listed in the logs then you might have a problem where the job is not being tracked by PaperCut.
This may happen because for a few different reasons like…
- The print queue on the user’s workstation is set up in a way that is inadvertently bypassing PaperCut
- The PaperCut Print Provider service is not running
- PaperCut is configured to ignore this printer or user
Thankfully we have another knowledge base article that walks you through how to troubleshoot when Print jobs are not being tracked by PaperCut which covers all of these scenarios and more.
Still have questions?
Let us know! We love chatting about what’s going on under the hood. Feel free to leave a comment below or visit our Support Portal for further assistance.
Keywords: Troubleshooting hold and release, Hold & Release, Hold/Release, Secure Print Release