Changing the driver on the PaperCut Printer (Manufacturer Driver Support) (Alpha)
90% of your users will most likely only need the PaperCut Global driver that comes packed and standard in our installer. However, there might be some users, such as your marketing department, real estate agents, or teachers, who need all the finishing options or who need more advanced options such as stapling, booklet or tray selection for your printer.
If you need to power up your printing capabilities for your users, we recommend changing the printer driver to be from the same manufacturer as your printers.
We call this ‘native print driver support’ or ‘manufacturer driver support’.
After you have set up your PaperCut Printer with an alternative manufacturer driver, user can print using th special features on the particular manufacturer printer models.
What driver should I pick instead for my PaperCut Printer queue?
If you have one fleet of printers, we recommend using a manufacturer driver that will work across all makes and models of this manufacturer. If some users don’t need advanced options, you can also use the existing PaperCut Printer with our PaperCut Global driver that works across many makes and models.
How do I install an alternative manufacturer driver printer?
- Click the Start button, then go to Settings > Devices > Printers & scanners.
- Click Add a printer or scanner.
- Wait for the prompt The printer that I want isn’t listed option to appear, then select it.
- Choose Select a shared printer by name.
- Type the name: http://localhost:9265/printers/papercut.
- Click Next.
- Choose your driver from the list or add your own. The printer is now added.
- Open Printers & Scanners.
- Click the + icon under the Printers list.
- Select the IP tab and fill out the following:
|Name||We recommend using the manufacturer name and PaperCut Printer at the end|
e.g. Waffle PaperCut Printer
|Use||Select Software OR Select Other and upload the driver that you want.|
- Click Add.
The printer is now available to print.
Using a manufacturer driver works in most cases for the PaperCut Printer. If your printer is not working with your manufacturer’s printer driver, we recommend trying a direct print first before contacting us. If you’re still having issues, feel free to let us know.
Categories: PaperCut Pocket and Hive KB Articles, Pocket & Hive How-to Articles