How to use Jamf Pro to deploy printers on managed iOS devices (iPhones and iPads)
This guide is for the Jamf Pro admin who wants to deploy print queues on managed iOS devices, such as iPads and iPhones.
The easiest way to deploy PaperCut managed print queues to your iOS devices, is to use Mobility Print to create iOS configuration profiles you can push to devices using Jamf.
If you’re interested in deploying printers with Jamf Pro to managed MacOS devices, check out How to use Jamf Pro to deploy printers on managed Macs.
PaperCut’s Mobility Print is a widely adopted print solution for BYOD devices across macOS, Windows, Chromebooks, iOS, and Android. Mobility Print is available as standard in both PaperCut NG and PaperCut MF.
Mobility Print as a feature takes care of:
- printer discovery
- stopping anonymous printing
- enabling optional features such as Secure Print Release in PaperCut NG/MF, as the document owner’s identity is associated with the print job
Mobility Print is also flexible to work in any environment:
- virtually any printer model is supported
- user authentication can be done against directories like Active Directory, G Suite (Google Cloud Directory), Azure AD, manually created users in PaperCut NG/MF or custom sources
- support for small or very large networks spanning large geographical areas
- load balanced environments to support tens of thousands of users
With Jamf Pro, you get all the benefits of Mobility Print on your managed iOS devices, without the need for users to spend time opening a setup page to install their printers.
Before you start
You need the following:
- Jamf Pro: 10.12.0+ with:
- APNS configured
- iOS devices enrolled
- PaperCut NG/MF: 17.0.0+
- PaperCut Mobility Print: 1.0.2406+ configured to use the Known Host discovery option
You need to be a:
- Jamf Pro administrator (or have relevant permissions) and should already have
- macOS clients managed by Jamf Pro
- existing, and appropriate groups in Jamf Pro.
- PaperCut NG/MF administrator (or have relevant permissions).
If you are new to PaperCut NG/MF, the easiest way to get up and running is to:
- Install PaperCut NG 40-day trial.
- In the Admin web interface, go to Enable Printing > Mobile & BYOD.
For versions earlier than 19.1, the Mobile & BYOD section can be found under the Options tab.
- Follow the steps to install and configure. Mobility Print. In the Mobility Print admin interface, choose the Known Host printer discovery method.
Distribute the Airprint configuration profile on all iOS devices
- Log in to the PaperCut Mobility Print admin interface.
- Select the printers you would like to publish.
- Download the iOS Configuration Profile:
- Under Apple iOS, click Client Setup.
- Click Download.
- Log in to Jamf Pro; then click Devices > Configuration Profiles.
- In the top right corner, click Upload.
- Browse to the downloaded configuration profile; then click Upload.
- Click the Scope tab.
- Define the scope of the distribution.
- to distribute to all mobile devices, in Target Mobile Devices, select All Mobile Devices.
- for more granular control over who gets this profile, you can scope this profile by Smart Group, Building, or any other Scope object within Jamf Pro.
Note: The configuration profile that you deploy has a list of all current PaperCut NG/MF managed printers. If you make any modifications to available printers within PaperCut NG/MF, you need to upload a new configuration profile to replace this one.
Let us know! We love chatting about what’s going on under the hood. Feel free to leave a comment below or visit our Support Portal for further assistance.