PaperCut Support may ask you to supply a spool file. This is a little more difficult on the Novell/Linux platform and involves “capturing” a spool file using one of the following procedures:
1. Enable snapshot level debug logging in the Print Provider layer by adding the line:
to the file at
2. Print a problem document that demonstrates the issue and wait for it to spool.
3. As root on the PaperCut server, enter the command:
cp /tmp/spool-snapshot.spl ~/10-pages-grayscale.spl
4. Repeat the 2 and 3 again as required to demonstrate the issue.
5. Compress the
*.spl files in the root home directory as well as
and email to PaperCut Support.
1. Enable debug (or leave on snapshot from above) level logging in the Print Provider layer by adding the line:
to the file at
2. Temporarily pause the printer output, by going to the problem printer in Novell Manage Printer
3. Click on Pause Output
4. Issue a print job to the problem printer
5. Look for lines of the form “Analysis results from spool file…” in
6. Using the spool file path that you found in the log file, copy the spool file to somewhere appropriate.
7. Go back to the Novell Manage Printer page and click on “Resume Output”
8. Email a zipped copy of the spool file that you saved to PaperCut Support.
- Page count, color, and other attribute detection problems
- Capturing a Windows Spool File
- Capturing a Mac Spool File
- Capturing a Linux Spool File
keywords: novell linux print to file