Ignoring or deleting printers
Q What’s the difference between ignoring printers and deleting them?
Good question! Let us clarify:
Deleting a printer - removes the printer entirely from the “Printers” list in PaperCut NG/MF. The printer might reappear if it is tracked by PaperCut on a print server running the PaperCut Secondary Server or a workstation running the Direct Print Monitor.
Ignoring a printer - configures PaperCut not to track the printer in the first place. The printer might stay in the “Printers” list in PaperCut until deleted.
Q How do I delete a printer in PaperCut?
By default, PaperCut is designed to automatically monitor all printers on the system/server. Deleting the printer via the admin web interface will not stop monitoring - the printer will just reappear next time a job arrives (as the system will detect is as missing and re-add it).
Q Is there a way to delete printers in bulk from PaperCut?
Yes! Have a look at our article Batch Deleting Printers.
Q How do you ignore a printer in PaperCut?
To completely ignore a printer, the Print Provider component needs to be instructed not to track activity. This procedure is explained in the user manual section Adding and Removing/Deleting/Ignoring Printers, available online here:
Note: History logs are still maintained allowing access to historical data. Always confirm your action before proceeding with the delete!
Q Why ignore a printer?
Common reasons for ignoring a printer include:
- You need to test printing with PaperCut disabled for troubleshooting purposes.
- The printer is a virtual printer such as a FAX or PDF converter.
- You are not concerned with tracking usage on the printer.
- The printer is only used by trusted people and it’s usage can be disregarded from reports.
- The printer is used for a special purpose such as label or batch printing and tracking is not appropriate or causes problems.
- Management has made a determination that print recording should not occur on a particular device (e.g. printing of sensitive material/documents).
Q PaperCut is ignoring my virtual printers (PDF, Fax). How can I track printing on these?
print-provider.conf, located in
[app-path]/providers/print/[platform], find the
ignorevirtualprinters=On option, uncomment it if necessary and set to
Keywords: excluding a printer , remove printer , ignore printer , stop monitoring , delete , bypass , subset , sub set , not monitoring , not tracking print jobs
Last updated July 5, 2023