Q How do I ignore, delete or ‘exclude’ a printer?
By default, PaperCut is designed to automatically monitor all printers on the system/server. Deleting the printer via the admin web interface will not stop monitoring - the printer will just reappear next time a job arrives (as the system will detect is as missing and re-add it).
To completely ignore a printer, the Print Provider component needs to be instructed not to track activity. This procedure is explained in the user manual section Adding and Removing/Deleting/Ignoring Printers, available online here:
Note: History logs are still maintained allowing access to historical data. Always confirm your action before proceeding with the delete!
Q Why ignore a printer?
Common reasons for ignoring a printer include:
- You need to test printing with PaperCut disabled for troubleshooting purposes.
- The printer is a virtual printer such as a FAX or PDF converter.
- You are not concerned with tracking usage on the printer.
- The printer is only used by trusted people and it’s usage can be disregarded from reports.
- The printer is used for a special purpose such as label or batch printing and tracking is not appropriate or causes problems.
- Management has made a determination that print recording should not occur on a particular device (e.g. printing of sensitive material/documents).
Q PaperCut is ignoring my virtual printers (PDF, Fax). How can I track printing on these?
print-provider.conf, located in
[app-path]/providers/print/[platform], find the
ignorevirtualprinters=On option, uncomment it if necessary and set to
keywords: excluding a printer, remove printer, ignore printer, stop monitoring, delete, bypass, subset, sub set, not monitoring, not tracking print jobs