Using the Snapshots to Gather Information from PaperCut NG and PaperCut MF
KB Home | Using the Snapshots to Gather Information from PaperCut NG and PaperCut MF
There are rare occasions where PaperCut NG or PaperCut MF may behave incorrectly or stop responding in such a way that the actual problem is not recorded to our debug logs. On these rare occasions, you may be asked to take a Snapshot and send it to a support engineer. The Snapshot feature allows us to save the complete current state of the application into the log files, even when it appears to be unresponsive. To be specific, this process can record the state of all open threads or program calls, as well as the state of all system memory presently allocated to the application.
To take a Thread or Memory Snapshot:
1. Click the Show advanced diagnostic options link, found in the Options → Advanced → Diagnostics section of the Admin web interface
2. Click the Save Thread Snapshot button or the Save Memory Snapshot button, as requested
To send Thread Snapshots taken to your support contact:
1. Click the Enable debug mode option, found in the Options → Advanced → Diagnostics section of the Admin web interface
2. If you’re running PaperCut MF and have opened a support ticket with your PaperCut partner or reseller, or would simply prefer to download the Thread Snapshot for later transfer to a support contact, enable the Download diagnostics file option instead, and then click the Download Diagnostics File button.
If you’re running PaperCut NG and have already opened a support ticket with the PaperCut Support Team, enable the Upload diagnostics file to PaperCut Support option, enter the email address associated with your ticket and the ticket number you have been advised of (either by email or other means), and then click the Upload Diagnostics File button.
To send Memory Snapshots taken to your support contact:
1. Take a copy of the memory snapshot from the server. These can be found in the following location on your primary Application Server:
2. Transfer the memory-snapshot.zip file to your support contact using the upload link they provide you with
3. Delete the [app-path]\server\logs\memory-snapshots\memory-snapshot.zip file from the Application Server
Under extremely rare circumstances wherein the system may be unresponsive via the Admin web interface as well, there is an external setup which may be used to monitor and obtain a Snapshot of the application’s state. Reach out to your support contact for direction if your installation of is displaying this behavior, as there are several troubleshooting steps that should typically be performed before undertaking the setup of this alternative method of Snapshot recording. If you’re running PaperCut MF, your PaperCut partner or reseller’s contact details can be found under the Support section of the About tab in the Admin web interface. If you’re running PaperCut NG, touch base with the PaperCut Support Team directly!