Syncing against multiple Groups or Organizational Units
KB Home | Syncing against multiple Groups or Organizational Units
Q I would like to import/sync users from multiple groups or Organization Units. Is this possible?
PaperCut’s default user import configuration is to import all users from the selected Domain or Directory Server. This is appropriate for most installations, however some organizations may wish to import a subset of users for various reasons. PaperCut can be configured to import a subset of users by selecting a group of users. A Group may be a domain-level group, or in Active Directory may also be an Organizational Unit (prefixed by OU: in PaperCut’s group list).
A common question we get is, “How do I import users from multiple Groups?” PaperCut is designed to import/sync users from multiple groups or OU’s. You will want to determine a model that best matches your environment.
Method 1: Multiple Group/OU Sync (v14.1 and above)
From version 14.1, multiple Groups or Organizational Units may be selected from any sync source such as Windows Active Directory, LDAP or operating system local groups. The steps are:
1. Open the Options → User/Group Sync tab
2. Click the Select Groups button and select the desired OU’s/Groups
3. Select the target Groups or OU’s that contains the users that should be imported in PaperCut.
Method 2: Windows Active Directory Multiple Group Sync using Nested Groups
As an alternative to method 1 above, it may be desirable to create an explicit import group and populate it with existing groups (i.e. a nested group). This method means all group management remains in Active Directory.
1. Define a Group called “PaperCut Print Users” or equivalent.
2. Add the target import groups (multiple groups, such as Staff and Students) as members of this group.
3. Select the newly created “PaperCut Print Users” group as the import source in PaperCut.