If the application does not support “Print to file”, the following method (for a Windows server) can be used:
- Manually power down the printer or pause the queue so printing will stay held in the queue.
- Print a document that demonstrates the problem (normally using a workstation).
- On the server, navigate to C:\Windows\System32\Spool\PRINTERS\.
- Take a copy of the SPL and SHD files who’s creation date matches the time of the print.
- Copy and Rename the files to a descriptive name like “testprint-3pages-2color-1bw.spl”.
- Zip the files and email both files to firstname.lastname@example.org for analysis.
Keywords: Print To File, Print-To-File, Capture Spool, Get spool file, Capture Print File, Collect