“We’ve heard about the PaperCut Global Print Driver and want to know the best way to install it to ensure support for 32-bit and 64-bit systems. How can we do this?”
The PaperCut Global Print Driver can hugely simplify Find Me Printing by providing a single global print queue which can be used across many different brands and models of printers.
There are other methods to add a driver to your print server, but the steps below show how to install a print driver with both the 64-bit and 32-bit versions to support newer and older workstations.
- Log into your Windows Print server, click on the Start button, type printmanagement.msc and hit the enter key to open the Print Management Console.
- Select Drivers, click Action, and then choose Add Driver… to launch the Add Printer Driver Wizard.
- On the Processor Selection page, check the boxes next to x64 and x86 processors and click Next.
- On the Driver Selection page, choose Have Disk… then navigate to the PaperCut application directory in Program Files, and continue browsing to
[app-directory]\providers\print\drivers\global\win\ and select PCGlobal.inf and select Open, OK , and then Next .
- Confirm the details and click Finish.
- When prompted to install the print drivers for x86 processors, choose Browse… and navigate back to the PCGlobal.inf in the same spot as before, then click Open.
- Lastly, confirm that you see both versions of the PaperCut Global Print driver on your print server.
You can start configuring your printers to use the driver. In Print Management Console, right click on a print queue and choose Properties…, click on the Advanced tab, and select the drop down menu next to Driver to add the PaperCut Global PostScript driver.
Of course, don’t forget to test the output by printing a test page. Many printers support PostScript drivers out of the box, but there are some exceptions.
Still have questions?
We recommend that you check out our Knowledge Base article which answers Common Questions about the PaperCut Global Print Driver. Also feel free to leave a comment below, or head over to our Support Portal for further assistance.
Categories: Implementation / Deployment, Find Me Printing, Windows
Keywords: Global Print Driver, driver installation, driver download, 32bit