Hey, you’ve landed on a page that we’ve updated and made even better! Go see the new section on our website called Discover.
This Discover section provides you with everything you need to know and covers stories and practices on how our customers use our solutions to get the most out of their printing, scanning and copying environments.
All topics are covered in the new section, but we may have written a page or two before our morning coffee, so we’ve left these pages active just in case :-)
Users may allocate printing expenses to Shared Accounts automatically with either the Client Tool on their PC, or at the MFD (for PaperCut MF users). In professional organizations Shared Accounts represent:
- Clients or accounts
- Project or phase
- Department or cost center
The workflow is as follows:
- Administrators manage the list of accounts
- End-users allocate printing to the accounts
- Reports are automatically available, allowing costs to be charged back to the client (invoiced)
Account Selection at the MFD
With PaperCut MF, you can give users the ability to select the client they want to charge to when they are at the MFD. This gives users the choice to print from their computer using the Client tool , or from their personal device without needing to install the client tool.
Account Selection using the Client Tool
Print jobs can be charged to accounts using the Client tool. (The Client Tool is a small software component that runs on user systems.)
PaperCut MF includes the advanced Client Tool option as standard for all users across all license options. In PaperCut NG, the advanced Client Tool option is only available in the professional client billing licensing option. It is specially designed to suit organizations making heavy use of the account charging features in PaperCut.
In addition to recording all the details of a print job, the advanced Client Tool option provides the following features:
- Charging to a shared account
- Associating a comment with the print job for future reference
- Applying a different charge rate to the job
- Prevent the job from being displayed on invoice reports
- Searching for accounts by name or code
- Saving a preferred list of commonly used accounts
- Maintaining a list of recently selected accounts
Charge rates provide a configurable list of optional rates. They can be used to charge different amounts for different paper types or circumstances.
The preferred list of accounts provides a convenient place to store the most commonly used accounts.
The list of recently selected accounts makes it easy to quickly re-select a previously selected account.
Shared accounts can be administered from anywhere on the network via a web browser. They can be:
- Created when required
- e.g. when dealing with a new client or starting a new project
- Imported from a directory structure
- Useful when you have an 'account directory'
- Imported from a text file
- Accounts can be transferred from or synchronized against another application or CRM system
As can be seen in the above example, shared accounts can be hierarchical. This allows for greater flexibility in account management.
Shared account access security may be enforced if necessary. In the following example only users in the group 'Executives' plus the user 'strangelove' may charge to the account 'World Domination'. Other users may not charge to this account.
Group membership does not need to be configured within PaperCut - it is automatically discovered from your domain!
Account based reporting
PaperCut has many reports dealing with shared accounts. The most common is the Invoice Report, which provides a printing summary for an account (and all its subaccounts).
The report header can be replaced with that of your own organization.