The client tool is an optional software component that runs on users' workstations. It is not required to track printing because PaperCut tracks printing at the server-side. The user client provides services to users that enhance the print tracking experience.
- Display the user's printing credit in real-time
- Provides a convenient link to open the user web interface
- Assist in message delivery, such as "printing denied" messages
- Provides access to advanced features such as the ability to allocate print jobs to shared/group accounts
The client tool does not need to be installed as it can be deployed with zero-install methods that run directly from a network share. It is available for Windows, Mac and Linux desktops.
- Notifies users when their printing is denied and explains why
- Notifies users when their balance is low
- All messages are fully customizable
When a user prints, PaperCut may optionally display a popup with print job information including number of pages, color/grayscale information, the job's cost and its document name. Users verify the print job and can choose to print or cancel it. This process reduces waste by reducing the number of incorrect/accidental print jobs.
Print account selection
Some organizations may wish to track printing at a more detailed level than just by user. The client software allows users to charge printing to shared accounts. Examples include:
- Staff in a school charging to department or faculty accounts
- Businesses allocating printing to cost centers, projects or clients
Some features of account selection include:
- Selecting accounts from a list or by code/PIN
- Account access may be controlled using domain groups
- Associate comments with print jobs (advanced option)
- Apply individual job discounts (advanced option)
Manager Mode Popup
The Manager mode popup is designed to allow authorized users to:
- Charging printing to any user (or shared account)
- Apply standard cost adjustments to print jobs (e.g. for special paper, binding, etc)
- Apply custom cost adjustments
- Enter a comment (recorded in the print log)
The Manager mode popup is commonly used in "print rooms" where the staff print on behalf of other users and can charge additional fees for services like binding, color or photo paper, etc.