Scanning shouldn’t be time-consuming. Scanning should be quick, simple, and convenient.
You want to scan with as little touches on the MFD (multifunction device) screen as possible. You want to save your document in your preferred storage location with one-touch scan actions. Your documents should be finessed and scanned in the best quality possible. Your hardware and software should integrate with whatever cloud service you use. And all your scanned documents should be easily searchable.
The digitization of the modern workplace demands scanned documents be easily navigable so that they deliver the expected benefits like disaster recovery and ease of access.
OCR is the technology that makes your scanning better than it was: better, stronger, smarter, faster.
What is OCR? Optical Character Recognition
Optical Character Recognition (OCR) technology allows you to convert scanned images of text into searchable digital documents. OCR software can recognize text from various sources, such as scanned paper documents, PDF files, photos, and screenshots.
How does OCR technology work?
OCR analyzes the pixels of an image and identifies the patterns that form letters, numbers, symbols, and other characters. It then compares these patterns with a database of known characters and assigns a corresponding value to each one. It can also use context clues, such as word spacing, punctuation, and grammar rules, to improve the accuracy of the recognition.
What makes OCR technology a powerful business tool?
OCR software can save you time and money by eliminating the need to manually retype or copy and paste text from images. It can also improve the accessibility and efficiency of your document workflows.
Save time and resources
- Reduce the time and effort required to process documents by automating data entry.
- Eliminate human errors and improve data quality and consistency.
Improve document accessibility
- Make your documents more accessible: search, copy, and share text from images.
- Convert text into audio or other formats for people with visual impairments or learning disabilities.
Optimize document workflows
- Streamline your document workflows by integrating with other software applications and cloud services.
- Organize, classify, index, archive, and retrieve your documents with ease.
Self-hosted and cloud-hosted OCR with PaperCut Software
Embedded print management software on your MFD touchscreen makes your scanning a unified experience. By sitting over the top of the manufacturer interface, PaperCut Software’s scanning interface makes scanning simple, fast, and secure. No matter what brand of MFD you’re using, the scanning experience is consistent.
PaperCut Software supports both cloud OCR and self-hosted OCR to suit your business needs. PaperCut’s OCR feature, available in PaperCut MF and PaperCut Hive, allows you to scan documents directly from your multifunction printer (MFP) and convert them into searchable digital files in various output formats. You can also send your scanned documents to various destinations, such as email, cloud storage, and network folders.
Both self-hosted and cloud-hosted versions of PaperCut’s OCR scanning functionality deliver the following benefits for PDFs:
- OCR: Makes the text in the scanned PDF file searchable by adding a hidden text layer on top of the image.
- Despeckle: Cleans up the scanned image by removing tiny specks of dust or dirt.
- Deskew: Aligns the scanned pages to make them look straight and neat.
- Blank page removal: Reduces the file size by automatically deleting empty pages from the scanned document.
- Batch split on blank: Scan multiple documents at once and separate them into different PDF files by inserting blank sheets between them.
- Batch split on N: Scan a batch of documents and split them into different PDF files every N pages.
Simple and secure OCR scanning for your business
PaperCut’s OCR features are easy to use and require no additional hardware or software installation. You can simply enable it on your PaperCut license and access it from your MFP’s touchscreen or PaperCut’s web interface. Our OCR functionality is available in our self-hosted solution PaperCut MF and our built-for-cloud product PaperCut Hive.
Learn more about PaperCut’s OCR and other scanning and capture features.LEARN MORE