PaperCut MF provides integration with Xerox MFDs, enabling the tracking, charging or billing of "off the glass" copying. The goal of PaperCut Software's embedded MFD solution is to leverage the capabilities of Xerox devices to provide walk-up copier users with the same set of rich application features provided in the print control area. These include:
- End user authentication including integration with single sign-on environments such as Active Directory, Open Directory, eDirectory, LDAP and others
- Optional swipe card authentication for device supporting "Xerox Secure Access" (via Network Card Readers)
- Group-based access control to the device
- Monitoring and control of photocopying, scanning and faxing (quotas, charging, allocation and logging)
- Allocation of copying, scanning and faxing to accounts/departments/cost-centers/projects
- Releasing jobs from a hold/release queue (secure printing)
Highlights of the Xerox embedded solution include:
The Xerox embedded solution is developed in-house by the PaperCut Software development team. This ensures that the copier interface is consistent with the workstation print interface, meaning users only have to learn one system and one set of terminology.
PaperCut is a single integrated solution where print and copier control are all managed in the one system. Users have a single account and administrators have the same level of reporting and administration for all services. The embedded solution interacts with the PaperCut server using a Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) and web services based protocols.
Rate of Development
PaperCut is developed under a release-often policy where new features are made available to users as soon as they are complete. Unlike hardware based solutions, new versions can be delivered to users regularly as software updates.
PaperCut remains true to its vendor neutral stance. All embedded solutions are equal and support all server OS's including Windows, Linux and Mac.
A large percentage of PaperCut's user base is in education environments where security is important. All embedded solutions are developed with security in mind. Where security objectives can't be satisfied, any deficiencies arem fully disclosed.
- Leverage your existing single sign-on infrastructure by allowing users to log in with the same username and password used elsewhere on the network. No need to remember and maintain multiple logins!
- Integrate with existing single sign-on environments such as:
- Microsoft Active Directory
- Apple Open Directory
- Novell eDirectory
- Other LDAP, NIS or POSIX environments
- Optionally authenticate using convenient ID numbers and optional PINs for extra security
Find-Me Printing Integration
- Also known as "Follow Me" or "Pull Printing", Find Me printing provides users in environments with several identical multi-function devices to print to a single virtual global queue. They can then walk up and log on to a device nearby available device and have their print job pulled from the global queue and printed on the spot.
- More on Find Me printing in our PaperCut NG tour.
Real-Time Copy Tracking
- Charge different types of copying at different rates
- All usage reported live in the PaperCut logs
Track Faxing and Scanning
- Track scanning to e-mail or to a file
- Track sending faxes
- Simple per-page cost model or 2-tiered cost model for volume discounts
- All usage reported live in the PaperCut logs
- Filter job logs to display just fax or scan jobs
Seamless User Experience
- Provide users with the same account selection options they use for printing via the popup
- If shared account access is granted, users have the option to select accounts from a list or using a PIN
- Control access to accounts using Active Directory groups
Consolidated Reporting and Management
Consolidated management and reporting in either summary or detailed formats are readily available at the click of a button for all copies and prints across your entire fleet:
- By device (printers & copiers)
- By user
- By shared account (client, department, faculty)
- By location
- By date and time / period
- By environmental impact
For more information about reporting see the Reporting tour section.
PaperCut's embedded solutions work together with the PaperCut server software. This means that you benefit from a choice of server operating system (Windows, Linux, Mac, and Novell) and all management is conducted from one single location. There are no hidden extras such as external dependencies or database licensing.
PaperCut integrates with Xerox MFDs in two ways:
- Xerox EIP 1.0, 1.5 and 2.0 - available on recent devices from the US and Europe.
- Network Accounting / JBA - for older devices and those that do not support Xerox EIP.
Xerox EIP requirements:
- Supported on Xerox devices supporting Xerox Secure Access and EIP.
- Network Accounting installed/enabled. (Network Accounting is also known as JBA or Job-based accounting.)
- Check the list of devices supporting Xerox EIP here. (Select the "Compatible Hardware" tab/section).
- Alternatively, check for "Job Limits" support in the device web interface (Accounting->Accounting Method)
Xerox Network Accounting requirements:
- Network Accounting installed/enabled and off-box authentication. (Network Accounting is also known as JBA or Job-based accounting.)
- This is supported on all recent devices and sometimes requires an additional module purchase from Xerox to enable.
PaperCut makes all attempts to keep the product compatibility information on this website current. However, we make no warranties, express or implied, with respect to manufacturer's products or the interoperation with the listed PaperCut product(s). We offer 40 day trial versions of PaperCut software to assist you with compatibility testing with your network setup.