PaperCut MF provides integration with Lexmark MFDs, enabling the tracking, charging or billing of "off the glass" copying, faxing and scanning. PaperCut's embedded MFD solution uses Lexmark devices' built-in touch screen to provide a rich set of application features for walk-up copier, fax and scan usage, including:
- End user authentication including integration with single sign-on environments such as Active Directory, Open Directory, eDirectory, LDAP and others
- Optional proximity card swipe authentication (via standard USB based readers)
- Group-based access control to the device and color copying
- Monitoring and control of photocopying and scans/faxes (quotas, charging, allocation and logging)
- Allocation of usage to accounts/departments/cost-centers/projects
- Releasing print jobs from a hold/release queue (secure printing)
Note: Lexmark and LeSF are Trademarks of Lexmark, USA. PaperCut is solely responsible for the contents of this publication and the performance of the PaperCut's products.
PaperCut is a single integrated solution where copier usage is managed together with network printing all in one system. Users have a single account and administrators have the same level of administration for all services.
Leverage your existing single sign-on infrastructure by allowing users to log in with the same username and password used elsewhere on the network. No need to remember and maintain multiple logins!
- Microsoft Active Directory
- Apple Open Directory
- Novell eDirectory
- Other LDAP, NIS or POSIX environments
- Optionally authenticate using swipe cards, proximity cards or ID numbers and optional PINs for extra security.
- Display instructions and your organization's own custom logo on the login screen.
Protect your valuable Lexmark MFDs from usage by unauthorized staff or visitors or limit expensive color copying to selected members of your organization.
Group memberships in your user directory can serve as a basis for fine-grained access control.
PaperCut MF monitors copying page-by-page and reports copier usage live in the central PaperCut usage log together with details like color/black & white, page sizes, duplex etc.
Use copy details to define costs and track users' copier usage across your whole fleet.
Users' copier usage, just like printing, can be controlled by
- User allocated quotas or budgets,
- shared account budgets,
- or a user-pays upfront model.
The device will deny copying in excess of quota or account balance.
Ranges of related pages can be grouped into 'copy jobs'. Unique to the Lexmark solution, all tracking is done in real-time and jobs can be denied even before they start. This means that users don't run out of credit half-way through a job.
track and control scanning and faxing
- Track scanning to e-mail or to FTP
- Track sending faxes
- Simple per-page cost model or 2-tiered cost model for volume discounts
- All usage reported in the PaperCut logs
- Optionally limit amount of scanning/faxing users can perform
- Filter job logs to display just copy, scan/fax jobs
The Lexmark embedded solution offers the same level of tracking copying as PaperCut does for printing. Each job may be allocated to a shared account that may represent a department, project or client.
- Shared account access is optional meaning that some users can have a simple interface while others get access to the complete list.
- Access to shared accounts is easily administrated and can leverage Active Directory/LDAP groups.
- Real-time account and user level reporting.
If enabled, shared accounts can be accessed using a number of on-screen convenient methods:
- Selection from list
- Quick entry via code/PIN
- Search by keyword
For more information about shared account see the Account Based Tracking in detail tour section.
consolidated reporting and management
PaperCut offers more than 50 standard reports. Reports detail copying, printing or consolidated view. Highlights include:
- By device (printers & copiers)
- By user
- By shared account (client, department, faculty)
- By location
- By date and time / period
- By environmental impact
For more information about reporting see the Reporting tour section.
print release and find-me printing
PaperCut offers hold/release queue as a core feature supporting all device types. The Lexmark embedded solution provides print release directly from the touch screen. Release methods include:
- Automatic release on log in
- Release from list
- Secure release
This feature ensures the user is there to collect their job and other users can't "accidentally" collect the document.
Find Me printing, also known as "Follow Me" or "Pull Printing", provides users in environments with several identical multi-function devices to print to a single virtual global queue. They can then walk up and log on to a device nearby available device and have their print job pulled from the global queue and printed on the spot. More on Find Me printing in our PaperCut NG tour.
Integration is supported for many Lexmark models, including:
- CX410de, CX510de/dhe, XC2132
- MS610de, MS810de, MS812de, M3150, M5155, M5170
- MX410de, MX510de, MX511de/dhe, MX610de/dhe, MX611de/dhe, MX710de/dhe, MX711de/dhe, MX810dme/dfe/de/dxme/dxfe, MX811dme/dfe/de/dxme/dxfe, MX812dme/dfe/de/dxme/dxfe, XM1140, XM1145, XM3150, XM5163, XM5170, XM7155, XM7163, XM7170
- C748, CS748
- C792e, C792de, C792dte, C792dhe, CS796
- X792de, X792dte, XS795, XS796, XS796, XS798
- X925de, XS925, C925de
- X548dte, XS548
- X746de, X748de, X748dte, XS748
- X950de, X952de, X952dte, X954de, X954dhe, XS950, XS955
- X466dwe, X466dte, X466de, X464de, X463de, XS463, XS464, XS466
- X651de, X652de, XS651, XS652
- X654de, X656de, XS654, XS656
- X658de, XS658
- X738de, X736de, X734de, X738dte, XS734, XS736, XS738
- X860de, X862de, X862dte, X864de, X864dhe, XS860, XS862, XS864
- T656dne, T654dn (print release only)
- X644e, X646e, X646dte
- X772e, X782e, X940e, X945e, XC940e, XC945e
- X854e, X852e, X8505e
PaperCut makes all attempts to keep the product compatibility information on this website current. However, we make no warranties, express or implied, with respect to manufacturer's products or the interoperation with the listed PaperCut product(s). We offer 40 day trial versions of PaperCut software to assist you with compatibility testing with your network setup.
consistency & vendor neutrality
The Lexmark embedded solution is developed in-house by the PaperCut Software development team. This ensures consistency in all areas of the application.
All embedded solutions communicate with the PaperCut server whether it be running on Windows, Windows Cluster, Linux, Novell or Mac Server.
rate of development
PaperCut is developed under a release-often policy where new features are made available to users as soon as they are complete. Unlike hardware based solutions, new versions can be delivered to users regularly as software updates.
A large percentage of PaperCut's user base is in education environments where security is important. All embedded solutions are developed with security in mind. Where security objectives can't be satisfied, any deficiencies are fully disclosed.