PaperCut MF provides integration with HP MFDs, enabling the tracking and billing of "off the glass" copying, faxing and scanning. The solution uses HP devices' built-in touch screen to provide a rich set of application features for walk-up copier, fax and scan usage, including:
- End user authentication including integration with single sign-on environments such as Active Directory, Open Directory, eDirectory, LDAP and others
- Optional proximity and swipe card authentication (via standard USB based readers)
- Group-based access control to the device and color copying
- Monitoring and control of photocopying and scans/faxes (quotas, charging, allocation and logging)
- Allocation of usage to accounts/departments/cost-centers/projects
- Releasing print jobs from a hold/release queue (secure printing)
PaperCut is a single integrated solution where copier usage is managed together with network printing all in one system. Users have a single account and administrators have the same level of administration for all services.
Leverage your existing single sign-on infrastructure by allowing users to log in with the same username and password used elsewhere on the network. No need to remember and maintain multiple logins!
- Microsoft Active Directory
- Apple Open Directory
- Novell eDirectory
- Other LDAP, NIS or POSIX environments
Optionally authenticate on the HP Common Card Reader using swipe cards, proximity cards or ID numbers and optional PINs for extra security.
HP Common Card Reader
The PaperCut MF embedded solution supports the HP Common USB Proximity Card Reader (CZ208A) on HP FutureSmart firmware and the HP Chai platform.
The HP Common Card Reader helps to protect your company's confidential information and control printing access by requiring users to authenticate at your imaging and printing devices with your existing proximity cards.
Protect your valuable HP MFDs from usage by unauthorized staff or visitors or limit expensive color copying to selected members of your organization.
Group memberships in your user directory can serve as a basis for fine-grained access control.
Track and Control Copying
- Charge different types of copying at different rates
- All usage reported in the PaperCut logs
- Optionally limit amount of copying users can perform
Track and Control Scanning and Faxing
- Track scanning to e-mail or to a file
- Track sending faxes
- Simple per-page cost model or 2-tiered cost model for volume discounts
- All usage reported in the PaperCut logs
- Optionally limit amount of scanning/faxing users can perform
- Filter job logs to display just copy, scan/fax jobs
The HP embedded solution offers the same level of tracking for copying as PaperCut does for printing. Jobs may be allocated to a shared accounts that represent departments, projects or clients.
- Shared accounts are optional - some users can have a simplified interface while others get access to search and select accounts.
- Shared account access is easily controlled using Active Directory/LDAP groups.
- Real-time account and user level reporting.
If enabled, shared accounts can be accessed using a number of on-screen convenient methods:
- Selection from list
- Quick entry via code/PIN
- Search by keyword
Users are configured once and are provided with a consistent experience for both network printing and off-the-glass MFP use.
For more information about shared account see the Account Based Tracking in detail tour section.
Consolidated Reporting and Management
PaperCut offers more than 50 standard reports. Reports detail copying, printing or consolidated view. Highlights include:
- By device (printers & copiers)
- By user
- By shared account (client, department, faculty)
- By location
- By date and time / period
- By environmental impact
For more information about reporting see the Reporting in detail tour section.
Secure Print Release and Find-Me Printing
PaperCut offers hold/release queue as a core feature supporting all device types. The HP embedded solution provides print release directly from the touch screen. Release methods include:
- Automatic release on log in
- Release from list
- Secure release
This feature ensures the user is there to collect their job and other users can't "accidentally" collect their document.
Find Me printing, also known as "Follow Me" or "Pull Printing", provides users in environments with several identical multi-function devices to print to a single virtual global queue. They can then walk up and log on to a device nearby available device and have their print job pulled from the global queue and printed on the spot. More on Find Me printing in our PaperCut NG tour.
The PaperCut MF embedded solution for HP FutureSmart is available for the following devices:
- HP LaserJet Enterprise flow MFP M630 series (M630dn, M630h, M630f, flow M630z)
- HP LaserJet Enterprise flow MFP M680 series (M680dn, M680f, flow M680z)
- HP LaserJet Enterprise flow MFP M880 series (M880z, M880z+ (Near Field Communication/Wireless Direct))
- HP LaserJet Enterprise flow MFP M830 series (M830z, M830z (Near Field Communication/Wireless Direct))
- HP LaserJet Enterprise MFP M527 series (M527dn, M527f, M527c, M527z)
- HP LaserJet Enterprise MFP M725 Series (M725dn, M725f, M725z, M725z+)
- HP LaserJet Enterprise 500 color MFP M575 series (M575dn, M575f, flow M575c)
- HP LaserJet Enterprise 500 MFP M525 series (M525dn, M525f, flow M525c)
- HP LaserJet Enterprise 700 color MFP M775 series (M775dn, M775f, M775z, M775z+)
- HP LaserJet Enterprise M4555 MFP series (M4555h, M4555f, M4555fskm)
- HP Color LaserJet Enterprise CM4540 MFP series (CM4540, CM4540f, CM4540fskm)
- HP Color LaserJet Enterprise MFP M577 series (M577dn, M577f, M577c, M577z)
- HP Officejet Enterprise X585 series (X585dn, X585f, X585z)
- HP PageWide Enterprise Color MFP 586 series (586dn, 586f, 586z)
The PaperCut MF embedded solution for HP Chai is available for the following devices:
- HP LaserJet M3035 MFP series
- HP LaserJet M4345 MFP series
- HP LaserJet M4349 MFP series
- HP LaserJet M5035 MFP series
- HP LaserJet M5039 MFP series
- HP LaserJet M9040 MFP series
- HP LaserJet M9050 MFP series
- HP LaserJet M9059 MFP series
- HP Color LaserJet CM3530 MFP series
- HP Color LaserJet CM4730 MFP series
- HP Color LaserJet CM6030 MFP series
- HP Color LaserJet CM6040 MFP series
- HP Color LaserJet CM6049 MFP series
PaperCut makes all attempts to keep the product compatibility information on this website current. However, we make no warranties, express or implied, with respect to manufacturer's products or the interoperation with the listed PaperCut product(s). We offer 40 day trial versions of PaperCut software to assist you with compatibility testing with your network setup.
HP S900 Devices
The PaperCut MF embedded solution is available for the HP S900 MFP series:
- HP S951dn MFP series
- HP S956dn MFP series
- HP S962dn MFP series
- HP S970dn MFP series
For integrated scanning, the device requires a display screen size of 10 inches or larger.
Consistency & Vendor Neutrality
The HP embedded solution is developed in-house by the PaperCut Software development team. This ensures consistency in all areas of the application.
All embedded solutions communicate with the PaperCut server whether it be running on Windows, Windows Cluster, Linux, Novell or Mac Server.
Rate of Development
PaperCut is developed under a release-often policy where new features are made available to users as soon as they are complete. Unlike hardware based solutions, new versions can be delivered to users regularly as software updates.
A large percentage of PaperCut's user base is in education environments where security is important. All embedded solutions are developed with security in mind. Where security objectives can't be satisfied, any deficiencies are fully disclosed.