KB Home | Deleting Users from PaperCut NG or PaperCut MF
The User List in PaperCut NG and PaperCut MF is effectively a “mirror” of the underlying server or domain user list. Any new users added to the domain will subsequently appear within the application, either at the point of next user and group synchronization, or at the time of their first print (whichever comes first). Any users deleted from the domain will be removed only when the Delete users that do not exist in the selected source (on “Synchronize Now” only) option is enabled, and Synchronize Now is manually selected. This way, errors afflicting your network accounts, such as connection or permission errors rendering the domain user list temporarily inaccessible, do not automatically cause problems for your user list in the application.
As of version 17.3 of PaperCut NG and PaperCut MF, a list of the user accounts which will be deleted can be previewed by selecting the Delete users that do not exist in the selected source (on “Synchronize Now” only) option and then clicking to Test Settings.
Please note that deleting a user in PaperCut NG and PaperCut MF will not remove the user’s historical printing data; you can still report on the printing that the user performed, using the Reports tab to view historical information. There is more information about deleting users and how this might affect reporting on the Report Data FAQ page.
It is common in an academic environment to have to delete user accounts en masse at the end the academic year. The recommended procedure is:
1. Delete the inactive user accounts from your domain and/or server. Large organizations will often automate this process via scripts and lists of student enrollments.
2. During a period of low system activity, perform a backup of the system. With PaperCut NG and PaperCut MF, this can be performed via the Options->Backup area of the Admin web interface, as documented in detail here. Deleting user accounts is a destructive operation, so it’s always a good idea to take a backup beforehand!
3. Navigate to Options->User/Group Sync and perform a test user synchronization using the Test Settings button with the Delete users that do not exist in the selected source option selected.
4. When the Test Settings information shows the correct user and group count, and the preview listing of users pending deletion looks accurate, you are ready to perform the user synchronization. Select Synchronize Now with the option Delete users that do not exist in the selected source enabled.
5. Take some time now to confirm that all is as expected.
Note: Deleting a user will not delete the user’s print history data. All historical log data will remain.
How do I delete users automatically overnight?
The delete users option is not “remembered” and hence will not occur when the sync occurs overnight. The only way to delete users is to do so manually via the Options->User/Group Sync page by manually enabling deletion and then synchronizing. In the past, we’d seen a few customers accidentally have their users deleted either by not remembering to turn the deletion option off, or due to an unexpected outage of their domain controller. Hence, this option is always off by default.
If automatically deleting old users overnight is important, then it is possible to do this via the server-command API. For example, a batch file could be periodically executed via the Windows Task Scheduler, with content like the following:
cd C:\Program Files\PaperCut NG\server\bin\winserver-command.exe perform-user-and-group-sync-advanced TRUE TRUE
We recommend running this command during a period of low system activity, such as 4:00 AM.
keywords: schedule task, removing users, delete, user accounts, active directory, cleanup, bulk user deletion