Last month we released a brand new cloud print solution for you to play with. It’s called PaperCut Mobility Print (we were going to call it Cloud Print, but another company totally had claim to that name, soooooo…).
Ironically, it’s a new take on Google Cloud Print.
The same as Google Cloud Print but different
PaperCut Mobility Print is the same, same as Google Cloud Print but a little different. For starters, here’s the same, same things:
- It’s free
- It lets you print from Chromebooks
- It includes convenient off-network printing (ok, it’s coming soon)
And here’s the different:
- It works with any platform, whether Google, iOS, Windows or whatever
- You can print from anywhere, even the moon (probably)
- It connects into a complete print enablement AND management tool (but only if you want it to)
Why make a Google Cloud Print alternative?
Good question. The answer (to paraphrase George Mallory ) is, basically, because it’s there.
Our developers don’t have enough to do with their continued refinement of PaperCut MF, PaperCut NG, Print Deploy and so on. No, they wanted to have something new to build. So they did.
And in the words of project lead Danielle Ko: “Google Cloud Print’s great. We wanted to see if we could make something greater.”
It uh … look, ok, it kinda helps that Google Cloud Print’s going away at the end of 2020, too.
If you want to try an alternative to Google Cloud Print, take PaperCut Mobility Print for a spin.