Key features for education at a glance:
- Control student print quota, or charge for printing.
- Track and budget staff printing by faculty or department.
- Simple installation - starts working immediately.
- Directory integration with automatic user account creation.
- Simple web-based administration for office staff.
- Automatic scheduling of credit/quotas.
- Solutions for managing wireless laptop printing.
- Runs on Windows, Mac, Linux and Novell, making PaperCut the most flexible print management solution available.
Where to from here?
PaperCut NG is a tremendous product. I researched other companies and PaperCut stands out as the best. We perform a silent monitoring in the Fall semester 2005 and actually ran PaperCut NG in the following Spring semester 2006. The results show PaperCut NG is effective. In one lab, we went from using 9 toner cartridges in the Fall to 4 toner cartridges in the Spring. Each toner cartridge cost $152, we had a savings in that lab alone of $760 on toner cartridges.
Fall semester the top 10 students who printed the most, had a total of 44,342 prints. The following Spring semester, the top 10 students had a total of 7,320 prints. Printing went down 83.5%. Paper cost for the entire college went down 29%. We set a limit for the students to have 357 prints in for Spring semester. After they used up their $25 credit or 357 prints they would have to purchase a Top-UP card. We also used Top-UP cards and sold them in increments of $1, $5, and $10. We sold 107 cards. Our Spring semester we earned $535 from our Top-UP cards.